Friday 23 November 2012

Books and Stuff

A weekly round-up of my book news.

What I've been reading...

Finished Darwin's Armada, which I enjoyed very much and  would recommend to anyone.  The voyage of the Beagle is well-trodden ground, but less well-known are the travels of Darwin's later allies Huxley, Hooker and Wallace.  A good read.

I had another go at Edmund de Waal, The Hare with Amber Eyes.  I'd been given it last Christmas by someone who knew I was interested in nesuke and I read half of  it some months ago before resting it.  I persevered with another fifty or so pages, but I've given up.  Despite all the praise it's got, I just find it turgid and the author's 'journey' into his family history dull.

Started Stephen Jay Gould, The Lying Stones of Marrakech, which is up to his usual standards.



No comments:

Post a Comment